CHINA JINZHOU WORLD LANDSCAPE ART EXPOSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
& INVITATION FOR REGISTRATIONS OF INTEREST
& INVITATION FOR REGISTRATIONS OF INTEREST
IFLA (the International Federation of Landscape Architects), in association with JINZHOU CITY and JCOM CHINA CO LTD are pleased to announce and invite Registrations of Interest in the:
CHINA JINZHOU WORLD LANDSCAPE ART EXPOSITION
This Expo will be held in Jinzhou City (situated in Northeast China) in 2013.
Any Landscape Architect who is a member of a Member Association of IFLA is eligible to submit a Registration of Interest (RoI).
BROAD OUTLINE OF THE COMPETITION:
From all those who submit a RoI, an international panel of senior IFLA members will select a field of at least 30 (but not more than 50) registrants who will be invited to prepare a Preliminary Concept Design for one of 20 gardens, which will be 2000m2 in area, set amidst a larger park area of 176 hectares in New Jinzhou City.
A 10 member Jury Panel made up of invited representatives of Jinzhou City, IFLA and JCOM, will select 20 landscape architects to develop their designs further to Developed Concept Design stage. Each of the 20 selected landscape architects will receive $US10, 000 to do this.
Locally based Chinese landscape architects will prepare construction details based on the Developed Concept Designs and will oversee the construction of the 20 gardens. The gardens will form a key part of a new park which will be opened to the public in 2013. The exposition will take place from May – October, 2013.
Visitors to the Expo will be invited to vote for the gardens they like best. At the end of the Expo the three most popular gardens will be announced and the designers will receive prizes of $US
10, 000 for 1st place, $US7, 500 for 2nd place and $US5, 000 for 3rd.
The main theme of the Expo is “The World is a Garden”. The theme reflects the idea that Landscape Architecture and Garden Art are amongst the most pleasing aspects of human existence, on an almost spiritual level, for all peoples, everywhere. As such, the theme of the competition is as follows:
“LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE AND GARDEN ARTS UNITE ALL PEOPLES – WORLD CIVILIZATIONS AND WORLD CULTURES COME TOGETHER IN JINZHOU”!
The schedule for the competition is as follows.
- FEB 15, 2011 – Invitations to register interest sent out to all IFLA Member Associations
- MARCH 15, 2011 – Closing date for RoI’
- MARCH 31, 2011 – Selection of successful RoI’s completed
- APRIL 30, 2011 – Preliminary Design Concepts completed and submitted by selected registrants
- MAY 15, 2011 – Selection of Top 20 landscape architects who will prepare Developed Concept Plans completed
- JUNE 30, 2011 – Deadline for submission of Developed Concept Plans
- JULY 2011 – Visit by all 20 landscape architects to Jinzhou to attend press conference
- APRIL – OCTOBER, 2012 – Construction Phase, including site visit by the landscape architects
- MAY 2013 (tentative) – opening of Expo
- OCTOBER 2013 – Closing of Expo and announcement of winners of design competition.
GUIDELINES FOR DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED:
REGISTRATION OF INTEREST:
- CV (including age)
- Resume of Experience – no more than one sheet of examples of relevant work transmitted electronically to Christine Bavassa, Executive Officer for IFLA at email@example.com
PRELIMINARY CONCEPT DESIGN:
- One page only – to be transmitted electronically (address to be advised)
DEVELOPED CONCEPT DESIGN:
- Overall Layout Plan of Garden; Perspective Drawing; Section of the Garden; Plan Section Elevation of Landscape Art Pieces; Sketches of Key Elements; Annotation to Developed Concept stage only (all annotation must be in English, Detailed Construction Drawings are not expected) – all documents in digital copy form on a data CD.
NOTE: Submitted documents will not be returned.
INFORMATION PROVIDED FOR ENTRANTS:
Expo Venue Plan; Basic information about Jinzhou City; Town planning projects around the area; Current land plan of Expo Venue; Detailed land area for each garden; Jury Panel and Judging Criteria, Schedule of Deadlines.
Further information is available from the IFLA website – visit www.iflaonline and click Awards and Competitions
Contact IFLA Executive Officer Christine Bavassa at firstname.lastname@example.org or IFLA Vice President Asia Pacific Region Alan Titchener at email@example.com or IFLA APR Secretary Prof Xiaoming Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org